Thursday, July 26, 2007

Your mission, should you choose to accept it,

I went down to the temp agency earlier this week, thinking what the heck, it will probably pay better than what I was doing prior, and went through the normal routine- what are your skills, what are you looking for, what's the capital of Afghanistan. I got a call back with an interesting offer- on Monday, if all goes well, I'll catch a plane out to California, meet up with another temp, and spend the next three or so days driving down the highways of America back up to good old New England in a car equipped with cameras. I don't think we'll be using them on the return trip, but I'll then spend the remainder of this assignment driving the same vehicle around the streets of Springfield, MA and its surrounding areas. Why, you may ask? I'm a little unclear on this myself- mainly because I'm not entirely familiar with the project- it's something Google is doing. The car in question, a late-model Chevy Cobalt, will be used to record footage or pictures of the roads. I actually look forward to this job, as well as the ride back. True, I probably won't get to see too much of the countryside, but I always wanted to drive cross country. No Red Bull, though. Since it tastes (kind of) like cherry, I tend to get bad headaches from whatever the artificial flavor is in it. I know, I'm a freak. Some people were worried that what I'll be doing would be an invasion of privacy, as anyone on the street may find their image on the internet. I really doubt these people are identified by name, however, and I'm sure the legal ramifications have been worked out. I'm sure we'll get a few funny looks- no doubt the car is a rolling billboard. It's certainly an interesting project- the same reason I started going for my trucking license- to see the country and get paid for it.

No comments: